Monday, March 20, 2006

Donuts of the Mind

Tian It, vice-chairman & ECD of McCann Erickson, was our guest speaker for the Creative Tactical Communication class 2 weeks ago. One thing that i want to remember from his sharing session is that he said creative ideas are like donuts of the mind. One have to catch them while they are still (hot and) running in your mind. Cause once they get tired and stop running all you get is stale donuts. and you won't want that. Not excatly a verbatim quote but yeah. I was impressed by that imagery.

He further explained that we should be very quick to take down our ideas when they surface: be it on you journey to a destination, or even before u fall asleep on your bed. Waiting, and sleeping on it (inaction) will only detrimental to spark more quality ideas.

really good tip for me cause i so want to break into the creative industry. :p

So yes, catch the donuts before they stop running! the donuts of your mind!

***

On another note, last week's guest author for another course: Creative Writing, was Ms Shirley Lim said something worth mentioning again too. She said that what motivates her to write a book is more than money. Then she go on and explain that if she really wanted more money, she could always tie up with other universities do a reading then and will get lots per session.

ANd then it struck me, probably i thought about it before but i now its clearer. I thought at that moment. Grades to me are like money to her in writing a book. Grades are not important to me in SMU. Other things means a whole lot more. Like the new experiences that i;ve exposed myself to. the new acquaintances that i made. Ah... i was so at peace with myself. Yes. Now i am very confident to face interviewers if they ask me why i ddint, albeit almost, get an honors. I just tell them that it wasnt my motivation. My motivation are the new experiences that i can expose myself too. the things that i am passionate and enthusiastic about. :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home